Friday, November 7, 2008

Mulberry Wine

Per gallon:
4 pounds mulberries
4 cups of sugar
1 tsp yeast nutrient
1 tsp acid blend
1 tsp pectic enzyme
1 campden tablet
Wine Yeast

Holy cats this is a full-bodied wine. It's the Cabernet of the backyard weed-tree wines. When I first bottled it I really couldn't drink the stuff. And so it sat untouched in my basement. A few years later it finally started to come around. At five years when the last bottle was gone It was still improving and had become quite palatable.
I have a mulberry tree in my back yard that must be forty feet tall or higher. At the height of a productive year the mulberries fall on the ground so thick that you might slip on them. And they stain everything they touch. The only animals that eat them are the birds, and they proceed to leave blue streaks on every surface in the neighborhood.

I lay sheets out on the ground and at peak can collect a gallon of mulberries each day for a week.

No comments: